Any woman who has been in a wedding knows that, while an honor, it’s not cheap. There’s a dress and shoes to buy, hair to do, nails to manicure, gifts to buy, maybe a flight or a hotel stay, and a bachelorette party to plan or attend, as well as countless other miscellaneous expenses. I’ve never said no to somebody who asked me to be in a wedding because it really is a true honor, a blessing, and I’m always touched, but that doesn’t mean I don’t cringe a tiny bit at what it will do to my budget.
The same can be said for when your friends start having babies. Oh my goodness, it’s so exciting, such a joy, but man is it a money suck. There are showers, baptisms, birthdays, and any other host of events in a child’s young life that just cost money. And that is just if you are a friend of the mother, but if you happen to be the child’s aunt, godmother, or other honored position, then the expenses add up even further. Those little angels are expensive, not just for the parents but for anyone who loves them enough to be an active part of their lives.
What have we learned so far? Weddings and children are costly even if they aren’t your own. I have paid thousands upon thousands of dollars to be in, attend, or otherwise be a part of weddings. The same can be said for spoiling the children in my life. You will NEVER hear me complain about it. Not ever. I do it out of love. I do it because it’s an honor to be a part of their special day and their upbringing but…
What about those women who don’t want a wedding or children? Where is our thousands upon thousands of dollars of gifted money? I realize that without children we should have a bit of extra money, but guess what doll face, you have a husband to split household costs and expenses with and I do not. I don’t think that our friends and families love us any less, but still there is no money coming our way. Is it a case of “If you don’t ask you’ll never get”? I really don’t think so, because I’ve straight up asked for money. So let me explain why I think there should be a single chick refund.
Single Chick Savings
Here is what I will save you, financially, in the long run of our friendship
- Engagement present -$100
- Bridal shower present -$100
- Bachelorette party -$100
- Possible bridesmaid gown, shoes, hair, makeup, nails, and accessories -$600-$1,000
- At the very least a dress for the wedding
- Possible destination wedding, flights, hotel stay, car rental, etc –prices vary
- Wedding gift -$100
- Baby Shower Gift -$75
- Welcome home baby/mommy gift -$25
- Baptism/Christening Gift -$100
- Christmas presents for the next 18 years for the kid -$50 a year =$900
- Birthday presents every year for the next 18 years -$50 a year = $900
- …and if I were to have had more than one child, then rinse and repeat. -$1800 per kid
- Hell, what if I had more than one marriage?–dude!