Latest posts by Chiara Mazzucco (see all)
- Life Won’t Wait for You to Get Your Shit Together - September 29, 2014
- Dear Romantic Comedies (and other Romantic-Themed Movies) - September 26, 2014
- Why Your (Good) Bartender is Smarter Than You - September 22, 2014
A lot goes into a makeover; it’s a physical, mental and spiritual journey, to say the least. We’re putting our bodies through intense transformation, dishing out some cash to change our hair, and getting started on goal setting to achieve our dreams. Next thing on the list is the girly stuff (and not so girly, since you can be a ‘tomboy’ and still wear makeup). In this guide to beauty supplies, we’re going to discuss some essentials. Go through your stash and start making a list of what you need, what you want, or what may need to be replaced. We welcome all our readers to add to this list in the comment area.
- Nail scissors
- Eyelash curler
- Curling Iron
- Flat Iron
- Blow Dryer
- Brush set
- A good razor
- Eyebrow brush
- Nail file and clippers
- Polish remover
- Body Scrubber (loofa, shower gloves, etc)
We’re going to be doing a skincare 101 for skin types as a part of this makeover series but for now, here is a general list you should have stocked:
- Hair removal: Cream or at home wax strips
- Vaseline – comes in handy for different uses
- Daily moisturizer with SPF
- Nighttime moisturizer
- Face wash
- Eye cream
- Make up remover wipes (comes in handy by the bed when you drunkly collapse into bed with smeared mascara after a night of partying. Also comes in handy in your purse if you happen upon an unplanned sleepover – you little devil, you!)
- Make up remover
- Weekly face mask
Again, you may not use, like or even need everything below but I find that having them around when you’re experimenting with YouTube video tutorials sometimes comes in handy
- Face primer
- Eye primer
- Tinted moisturizer and/or BB creams are super hot hot hot right now (they must be totally awesome, right? Actually, I have the Garnier Fructis one and I love it)
- Eye brightener/illuminator
- Eyebrow pencil
- Eye liner
- Eye shadow (at least one neutral day, one nighttime and one it-may-be-day-but-I’m-feeling-sexy combo)
- Mascara (lengthening and volumizing)
- Lip wear of choice (balm, stick, gloss or stain) and then your second and third favorite as a back up.
- All over illuminator
Hair and Bod
- Styling: Gel, Mousse and hair spray
- Headbands (come in handy on cleaning days if you’re not the type to wear them out)
- Hair ties
- Bobby pins and clips
- Dry shampoo and leave in conditioner
- Body butter
- Body lotion
- Body wash
- Body exfoliant
- Shaving cream
- Body spray
- Favorite perfume
Misc Beauty Supplies:
Obviously there are things you use that aren’t listed above; that’s what makes women so unique. Think back to that time you got ready at your friend’s house and used or saw a product of theirs you totally loved. For example, I never thought about using a detangler spray but when I tried one at my girlfriend’s house, I fell in love.
Toss and Replace!
Understand that this guide to beauty supplies is meant to guide you. Not every item is a must and it all definitely depends on your likes, needs and wants. One thing I want to stress is know when to replace your beauty supplies. Mascara sticks older than 3 months carry bacteria. The foundation you wore this summer when you were naturally 2 shades darker doesn’t look so good on your winter white skin. When your nail polishes are half acetone because of all the drops you had to add in to bring them back to life, it’s time to dish out another couple of bucks to replace the damn things.
Personally, I love makeup. I think it’s fun, it makes me feel pretty and I don’t feel the need to defend my confidence level by wearing it. It’s the pot of gold at the end of my rainbow and it’s usually the only thing that gets me all better after a couple of days with the blues or the flu.
I’ll be writing a make up tips article soon to follow along with the make up bullet points.
Until then, please add anything to the list below and if you have any favorite products, add those too!
Disclaimer: Here at The Indie Chicks we do not support the caking of faces and over-poundage of make up. This guide to beautfy supplies implies we understand make up and other beauty supplies to accentuate features and boost (but not define) self esteem.
Find all the makeover articles in one place. Check out the Indie Bombshell Makeover Series here and don’t forget to join our community group for inspiration, support and motivation! Summer 2013 and the best version of you await!